Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Important Work Continues


Regular readers of The Cup of Joe, which has an audited circulation of 10 worldwide, know that my friend Elgy recently agreed to take the lead on ensuring that all my old homework and tests from high school would be transferred to microfilm and microfiche (for enjoyment by future generations.) She'll be joined in this important work by that irrepressible married couple I refer to as "Peaches and the Machine."

Just one day later, I'm pleased to be making a second, equally important announcement.

Peaches and the Machine, as a birthday present to me, have agreed to transfer to microfiche (and microfilm) the following addtional items that are in my basement:

* Every canceled check stub since 1987.

* All my saved wrapping paper (birthdays, Christmas, President's Day) since the early 90s. (I know I've been meaning to re-use this paper, but I'm thinking a microfiche archive just might be the better bet.)

* My life's work of poetry, contained in 14 cardboard boxes each filled with up to a dozen spriral bound notebooks (200 sheets each/ 11 x 8 7/8, College Ruled, White Paper, Perforated, with Tab Dividers.) In this poetry I pretty much amplify what have become my life's themes: the horrors of feeling bloated, meditations on gastrointestinal distress, and a series of reflections in homage to the potato and all the lesser vegetables.

This is such a great thing for Peaches and the Machine to do for me! Now I know what Stevie Wonder was referring to when he sang, "That's What Friends Are For."

Keep smilin'... Keep shinin'.

With friends like Peaches and the Machine, how can I not?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peaches will only agree to do it if it comes with a signed and numbers lithograph of your hand-drawn, Parade-award winning "The Kiss."

Anonymous said...

If you think you can get me to post comments to your little blog just by dragging my name into it, you are completely mistaken.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cup, glad to help out a friend. I volunteer to sort and catalog all the materials that don't reek of cat urine. Oh look-- I'm done already.

Joey P said...

You two -- Peaches and the Machine -- are such kidders! We're starting this project all day on July 4, right? Unfortunately I won't be able to help y'all out. (I'll be at a barbecue having fun.)

Txs, in advance!

Happy Fourth!