Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Observations on Mary Cheney






If you didn't see Mary Cheney, the gay daughter of the Veep, on Letterman the other night, here's a link. I have several observations about Mary:

* She's a lot smarter than I am, and very well spoken. It makes me a little jealous.

* She could probably beat me up. If we ever had an argument about politics, and it went to fisticuffs, I'd be in big trouble. (I say this based on this link, but please don't visit if you are a Friend of Joe, like so many are, who is troubled or angered by foul language!)

* She reminds me a little bit of the lesbian dog trainer in the movie Best in Show.

* It's absolutely terrific that her father loves her, as she says in the interview, and that he was a loving, accepting father when she disclosed to him (as a teenager) her sexuality. It's too bad that our Veep and his political party had to appeal so strongly to people's prejudices, fears and hatreds against people like his daughter while campaigning for national office.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read a book, newspaper or eye chart in 17 years, but the Ethan Hawke novel you recommended yesterday sounds fascinating. And now I eagerly anticipate reading Mary Cheney and her story of a father's love and understanding. But does The Cup of Joe ever review any non-fiction?

D said...

I love books. I even respect and recognize the right for literature that goes against every grain of my being. However, I am willing to make an exception in Ms. Cheney's case. I think I have found some great material for future campfires and my birdcage.

Joey P said...

The Cup of Joe thanks you for your responses and urges my friend "certified fair trade" to get that eye exam asap! if you don't care for you own health, my friend, who will??