Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cher and Cher Alike


I'm at the local record store a short walk from my house. Everytime I buy something there, the clerk says something about the purchase, and usually it's an esteem boost, a slam dunk, a compliment about my taste in music. Sometimes he says nothing -- let's just call it a knowing glance of approval.

This time, the approval is 2/3 guaranteed, because I have two Bob Dylan CDs to buy, along with ... Cher: The Greatest Hits.

What will the clerk say, I think to myself, as I sift through my potential purchases? As I approach the register I stack the CDs with Dylan on top twice, and then Cher.

He checks out the first CD, looks at me, nods, and approves.

Next Dylan CD: He glances up, eyebrows raise. Approval.

Then he sees Cher's greatest hits. There's a pause.

"Wow, I didn't see that coming," he says.

I pay the bill and slowly leave.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Awe...