Wednesday, July 19, 2006

St. Louis Storms

More than 350,000 are without power in Missouri, and I'm one of them. Thankfully, just a mile away, Wally is fully with power, so I've packed up my freezer and headed here for the evening.

We were at Ronnies Cinema in South County when, after the third or fourth disruption of power during a screening of Superman Returns, we were informed the theater was closing for the night because of the thunderstorms and power outages, and that we should all go home.

There are lots of trees and branches down in my neighborhood on the South Side. A Category 1 hurricane has winds between 74 and 95 mph, so this storm was the equivalent.

The sidestreet I'd usually take to get to Wally's house wasn't an option because of the downed trees. It's a mess out there right now.

Let's hope the power gets back on soon, particularly for those elderly people who need air conditioning. The high temperature tomorrow is supposed to be 101 degrees.

Everybody OK?

2 comments:

Joey P said...

... Make that closer to 500,000 without power. I still don't have mine.

Gilligan!

Anonymous said...

No power and yet The Cup of Joe continues. Huzzah to our resilient Cup and his devotion to his blog!

I, too, am without power. This morning, I filled a dumpster with branches from my driveway alone. Thank God the office has power.

Elgy