Tuesday, July 25, 2006

What Floats Your Boat?


... Just returned yesterday from a lovely float, on the hottest day of the year, on one of Missouri's favorite canoeing and rafting streams. Outside temperature: 101 degrees.

Since many of my friends who didn't go on the trip were probably at home, and quite possibly reading their hometown Sunday newspaper, I'd just like to make clear that I did NOT see any sex, I did see LOTS of beer, and I will confirm the headline writer's suspicions that these rivers also have lots of boats.

Maybe I'm just floating the wrong streams?

And I'm no novice: In the past 20 or so years I've canoed on five different rivers in Missouri covering about 100 miles of various stretches of these streams.

However, I should note that this story was reported on based on people who hang out on the river on Saturdays and holidays, and we floated on a Sunday. In fact, I'm very careful NOT to float on Saturdays.

Why? I won't (and can't) float on Saturdays for medical reasons: I'm allergic to large numbers of people in bathing suits who do not have gym memberships. I'm also allergic to boom boxes that can only play Jethro Tull 8-tracks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been floating in southern Arizona the past week or so...literally...and missed this posting. What a mean thing to say about Tull 8 tracks. Taste is taste and in the shuffling madness, who can say what is art, or what is trash. One man's Locomotive Breath is another man's Toccata and Fuge in D minor.

Bobby M.

Joey P said...

Hey, What can I say? I'm still bitter that JT beat Metallica for the 1989 grammy for best hard rock recording. Hope you enjoyed riding the Crest of a Nave on that Arizona river.

Have you heard Tull's 2003 Christmas album?