Friday, November 02, 2007
My Five Favorite Words to Add to The Dictionary
Each year, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary adds in new words that have entered the cultural landscape.
Earlier this year the dictionary announced the latest additions, which included “ginormous,” “smackdown,” “snowboardcross” and “speed-dating.”
Last year's new words included "google," "spyware," "unibrow," "drama queen," "soul patch," "ringtone," "biodiesel" and "gastric bypass."
I applaud all these choices, especially unibrow.
What are my five favorite words to add to the lexicon? Here goes:
1. Fuckwad. Usage in a sentence: "Man that guy in the unibrow is a complete fuckwad!"
2. Fuckface. Pointing: "Fuckwad over there is a complete drama queen!"
3. Shit-for-brains. "If you were to look up shit-for-brains in the dictionary, you'd see a picture of that fuckwad with a unibrow."
4. Honey-bunches-of-oats. No explanation or sentence example necessary.
5. Vajayjay: "I love it when Oprah talks about, or points to, her vajayjay."
Hey, if vajayjay is worth a lengthy article in the Sunday New York Times, and I believe it is, then it is worth an entry in the dictionary.