Monday, October 16, 2006

I'm Going On A Tivo Diet

Look out, Marc Tucker: I'm going cold turkey on some TV shows I've watched for more than a decade.

Over the last week, I've eliminated Saturday Night Live (following two weak first episodes of the season) and Late Night With Conan O'Brien from the Tivo rotation.

Cutting Conan was a tough decision: I've been watching him off and on since he first went on the air in 1993.

Back when his show started, when everyone else was talking about how terrible Late Night was, I thought it was must-see TV and easily one of the funniest shows on television. (I still have some of these shows on tape somewhere. Maybe it's time for me load the Sassy Aunt Venita sketches to YouTube?) It's still funny, really funny, but I've decided to tape only one hour-long talk show per day, and I'm going with Late Night With David Letterman. Dave has been outstanding lately. (More on Dave in a future post.)

The latest victim of my Tivo Diet, I fear, will be Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Tonight, it's getting taped possibly for the last time.

I like Studio 60 well enough. However, while I find it OK to be self-important if you're writing a show about running the free world (The West Wing), I find it a little harder to lap up the monologue-spewing self-importance when what's at stake is a weekly TV show featuring as characters a bunch of LA phonies in the entertainment business.

My reaction to last week's episode of Studio 60: I can't believe I watched the whole thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While reading the captioning on "Studio 60" while on the elliptical machine at Ballys and listening to TV Guide Talk on my iPod all I can say about "Studio 60" is the show reads as self-important as the speeches I read at the gym when "West Wing" was on. Drivel.