Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Some People Aren't Warmed By Love

Do you think it's true that people give the type of gift that they truly covet themselves? I believe this to be true.

Twenty years ago, for his birthday, I gave my friend Bobby M a book of poems by Leonard Nimoy called "Warmed by Love." To this day, I regret that I didn't buy two copies, so that I could have a copy on my coffee table for all my friends to enjoy.

My friend Bobby M, however, keeps his copy hidden away, for no others to see, not wishing to share Mr. Nimoy's poetry, selfishly hoarding every metaphor, couplet, image and epigram for "him, himself and he." To what do we owe this conceit? Why be so miserly about Spock's stanzas, sonnets and similes; his use of assonance, anapest and alliteration?

This, to me, is selfish. Does Bobby M not understand the true lessons of Warmed by Love?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand he's the same way with regards to cocunut monkeys.