Friday, September 15, 2006

Heche Sasses With Letterman About Ellen

Oprah Winfrey's advice for people interviewing celebrities is to always ask the question you are really interested in knowing the answer to.

David Letterman did this on his show on Thursday night when Anne Heche was a guest for two funny segments.

So if you wanted to know if she and Ellen were still friends -- "define friends" -- and if she'll be promoting her new show "Men in Trees" on Ellen's show, you can read a transcript of their conversation below.

DAVE
: What about Ellen Degeneris. Are you still in touch with her, do you --
HECHE: -- I am so glad you asked, Dave. I've been dying to talk about this.

(LAUGHS)

DAVE: Ok. She has a show.

HECHE: (laughing) I'm actually going home to be on her show tomorrow, which is interesting.

DAVE: You're going to be on her show?

HECHE: Everyone wants me right now.

DAVE: Wow, that's exciting.

HECHE: No, I'm not going to be on her show.

DAVE: You're not going to be on her show?

HECHE: NO, I don't think I am.

DAVE: That would be quite a show. I think people would --

HECHE: -- I think people would tune in, yeah. I, uh --

DAVE: Yeah. Are you still, you must be friends, probably, friends right?

HECHE. Uh, friends. (PAUSE) Define friends.

DAVE: Well, friendly.

HECHE: I have run into her and we have been friendly.

DAVE: Yeah, well that's good.

HECHE: Yeah, sure.

DAVE: That's very good.

HECHE: Are you friends with your exes? (LAUGHS)

DAVE: Wow. Uh, uh. (LAUGHS)

HECHE: Do you like when people bring it up? Do you enjoy a conversation, a nice conversation about a couple of your exes, cause I have some names. (she smiles, Dave laughs.) ... No?

DAVE: Well, I see. You make an excellent point. (Dave laughs)

HECHE: Thanks, Dave.

DAVE. But, but you know what it is? --

HECHE: -- What is it?

DAVE: -- Well, it's just that I, uh ... I love lesbians. (laughter and applause.)

HECHE: I can see that.
Dave really is fascinated with lesbians. Remember his interview with Dick Cheney's daughter?

Read the Tom Shales Washington Post review of Heche's new show here (he hates it), and the New York Times review here (the reviewer doesn't hate it as much as Shales).

No comments: