Monday, March 19, 2007

When Movies Become Musicals



Edward Scissorhands, the musical/dance spectacular based on the 1990 Johnny Depp/Tim Burton movie, just opened in New York at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Here's the New York Times review from today.

I was a little more fond of the show than the critic. And I liked it a lot better than I was expecting, especially since I hate the trend of Broadway in recent years to remake movies, such as Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Wedding Singer and Urban Cowboy: The Musical. Coming next: Legally Blonde, which opens in previews on April 3.

Urban Cowboy ran on broadway for only 60 regular performances, and I was at one of them. It's the worst musical I've ever seen.

See below for the ONE musical based on a movie I'd really like to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was really surprised how much I liked Edward Scissorhands too, especially after being REALLY disappointed by Light in the Piazza. I'm hopeful for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, but am trying to have low expectations so I'll be sure to enjoy it! :)