Monday, January 29, 2007

I'm Glad I Don't Have
Government-Equipped Hi-Fi

"All homes have a built-in radio speaker that pipes out propaganda. The radio can be turned down, but not off."

This is a description of North Korea. It was part of a fascinating story Sunday on 60 Minutes about an American who defected to North Korea in 1962.

If you can't picture this, the speaker looks like an intercom system you would find in school classrooms. Now imagine this one-way speaker system in your tiny one-room apartment, and the principal -- I mean the government -- can talk to you all the time and any time.

Can you imagine if homes in the United States had piped-in radio featuring Dick Cheney as the Voice of God on his top-rated (cause it's the only show) "Cheney & Friends in the Morning"?

Is this a terrifying thought or what?

God bless 'Merica.

Afterthought: I hope I'm not giving Karl Rove any ideas.

No comments: